Find your local Federal and State Tax Office here! Not a government website.

I have a question on the tax side of splitting up house proceeds from basically an inheritance (actually from property gifted to 4 siblings

Q) I have a question on the tax side of splitting up house proceeds from basically an inheritance (actually from property gifted to 4 siblings by the last wife of the father of those siblings after his death).

Basically, this “inheritance” to 4 siblings involved preparing the property for sale, and really only 1 of the siblings could afford to pay that cost up front and so will need to be reimbursed for that. The question is when this reimbursement should occur: (A) After the sale in which all siblings get the same percentage, or (B) At the time of Sale.

I think a lot of it is basically what can be deducted and when (and how to make sure it is clear with the IRS, e.g. what forms may be needed and how to prove such deductions), and basically to see if the situation is or is not how I describe below.

For calculating multiplicities sake: if the house sells for $120,000 and if total up-front expenses end up $20,000…

Option A

Split up proceeds evenly

Amount received Deductions Amount taxed
$30,000 – $20,000 $10,000 Sibling 1
$30,000 $30,000 Sibling 2
$30,000 $30,000 Sibling 3
$30,000 $30,000 Sibling 4

Or would this actually be more like this:
Amount received Amount taxed Deductions
$30,000 $30,000 Sibling 1 – $20,000
$30,000 $30,000 Sibling 2
$30,000 $30,000 Sibling 3
$30,000 $30,000 Sibling 4

In addition, after these numbers Sibling 1 is paid back that $20,000

Option B

Split up proceeds including deductions paid to Sibling 1 up-front.

Amount received Deductions Amount taxed
$45,000 – $20,000 $25,000 Sibling 1
$25,000 $25,000 Sibling 2
$25,000 $25,000 Sibling 3
$25,000 $25,000 Sibling 4

A) Please refer your questions to a Real Estate closing attorney.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

118 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Tax Office

  1. According to the IRS: You can fix mistakes or omissions on your tax return by filing an amended tax return. If you need to file one, these tips can help.

    Must be filed on paper. Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct your tax return. It can’t be e-filed. You can get the form on at any time. See the Form 1040X instructions for the address where you should mail your form.

    Amend to correct errors. File an amended tax return to correct errors or make changes to your original tax return. For example, you should amend to change your filing status, or to correct your income, deductions or credits.

    Don’t amend for math errors, missing forms. You normally don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors on your original return. The IRS will automatically correct those for you. Also, do not file an amended return if you forgot to attach tax forms, such as a Form W-2 or a schedule. The IRS will mail you a request for them in most cases.

    Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, errors. Some taxpayers may receive a second Form 1095-A because the information on their initial form was incorrect or incomplete. If you filed a 2015 tax return based on the initial Form 1095-A and claimed the premium tax credit using incorrect information from either the federally-facilitated or a state-based Health Insurance Marketplace, you should determine the effect the changes to your form might have on your return. Comparing the two Forms 1095-A can help you assess whether you should file an amended tax return, Form 1040X.

    Three-year time limit. You usually have three years from the date you filed your original tax return to file Form 1040X to claim a refund. You can file it within two years from the date you paid the tax, if that date is later. That means the last day for most people to file a 2012 claim for a refund is April 18, 2016 (April 19 for taxpayers in Maine and Massachusetts). See the Form 1040X instructions for special rules that apply to some claims.

    Separate forms for each year. If you are amending more than one tax return, prepare a 1040X for each year. You should mail each year in separate envelopes. Note the tax year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. Check the form’s instructions for where to mail your return.

    Attach other forms with changes. If you use other IRS forms or schedules to make changes, make sure to attach them to your Form 1040X.

    When to file for corrected refund. If you are due a refund from your original return, wait to get it before filing Form 1040X to claim an additional refund. Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process.

    Pay additional tax. If you owe more tax, file your Form 1040X and pay the tax as soon as you can to avoid possible penalties and interest from being added to your account. Use IRS Direct Pay to pay your tax directly from your checking or savings account. Source

Leave a reply

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming is a private website not a government website. If you have questions on your taxes it is always best to consult with a certified tax accountant in your state. The Tax Relief Helpline is NOT A State Government or IRS service and is not affiliated with